Thursday, June 30, 2016

The Possible Power of Example

They say it all the time: 


Today I may have caught a glimpse of it...which, as teachers we often do. The good, the bad, the beautiful, the ugly...you name it, the students have probably imitated it. That's my theme for today.
Because I spend a lot of time living in the world and not much time on the planet of the interwebs (besides the ever-too-often daily vacation there during my summer job), I don't have much time tonight to talk about day 2 in DayCare2.
  • I'm easing my way into the room. In regards to yesterday's goal of  probing the lead teachers for a general direction of my job in the room...the conversation went like this: 
Me: "So, is there anything specific you need my help with today?"
Miss L: "Um...not really...*looks around the room* Just...play with the kids I guess :)"
Slightly-disappointed-yet-intrinsically-optimistic me: "Sure! I can do that!"
...I was slightly disappointed because I am THAT person who can do most anything but is much much happier when she knows what needs to be done.
  • I suppose I may have led by example today because the lead teachers began the same read-aloud technique I was with a group of 5 or 6 kids. What this technique looks like mainly consists of the child's interest in the book and basically everything not worth mentioned is mentioned and talked about.
  • I very much took on the role of assisting the two children with special needs. I don't mind just being with these two children. Especially Cole, who is severely visually impaired. Cole is very sweet and he sat with his head on my leg for at least 15 minutes. I'm becoming move and more interested in why he does the things he does. 
  • I was too afraid to ask if the room was always chaos like today. 

More background to come later. Until then,
-Miss Liz


No comments:

Post a Comment