Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Going Slowly

"It doesn't matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop." - Confucius
Because I feel as though I'm moving slowly. Because I feel as though the day is slugging its way along past me without my even trying. Because I'm exhausted and would rather be sleeping.
My mother suggested to me to keep a journal of my experiences at DayCare2. Even if it's a sentence a day.*
Today?
  • The kids flocked to me. This happens every time I: 1) am the "new kid" at the day care, 2) get down on their level and show even the least interest in what's on the floor. If ever you feel unloved and unwanted, just sit down on the floor of a room in a daycare, ask one child what he/she is doing in the most genuine and gentle way, and wait 30 seconds. You'll have at least five children eating out of the palm of your hands (especially if you have food, I'm sure...however, I wouldn't suggest doing this as it may be uncalled for in a licensed day care).
  • The morning was chaos, I'm sure it's partly that I was in the room.
  • Due to the swarm of children and chaos, I wondered why the other two main teachers were not engaging the children and leaving me to fend for myself.
  • And then I thought: "Hey. I'm here as a volunteer and an observer...tomorrow, my second day in the classroom, I'm going to observe...maybe they don't engage the children much at all - in which case, my presence and energy would be new and unfathomed, only awakening in them this desire for attention.
*She also proposed that I use this time as an "experiment"...however, I'm not quite sure she knows herself what that would entail.


No comments:

Post a Comment